Only sixty percent of men go to the doctor for annual physical.
And just over forty percent of men will go to the doctor only if they think they have a serious medical condition.
These findings from a recent Cleveland Clinic survey raise a few questions, namely, why aren’t men visiting their doctors?
Annual Wellness Exam for Men
Guys, the truth is, your health insurance plan covers you for one free wellness exam every year. If you have Medicare or a health insurance plan through the Health Insurance Marketplace, you can receive an annual wellness exam from a doctor or provider in your plan’s network.
You don’t have to wait until you’re sick to see a physician. When you develop a relationship with a Nashville doctor at St. Thomas Medical Group, you help us establish what we call “baseline wellness.” Then, if you do become sick, we have some information we can use for comparison.
Additionally, when you develop a relationship with a physician, we can establish records of your personal medical history and family history, which help us provide better informed and potentially more effective care later on, should you become sick.
What Does a Marketplace Health Plan Cover?
According to HealthCare.gov, plans must offer the following preventive services without charging you a copayment or coinsurance (even if you haven’t met your yearly deductible):
- Blood pressure screening
- Cholesterol screening
- Colorectal cancer screening (men ages 50-75)
- Depression screening
- Type 2 diabetes screening (men ages 40-70 who are overweight or obese)
- HIV screening
- Immunization vaccines
- Tobacco and alcohol use screening
- …and much more
Your annual wellness exam can be an opportunity to get checked out for a number of health conditions. (See the rest of the list here.)
Why Get an Annual Wellness Exam?
Men’s wellness exams offer many benefits. These are just a few great reasons why you should schedule with a doctor in Nashville today…
- Wellness exams may lead to early detection of an illness; early detection could result in better outcomes.
- Wellness exams could lead to the detection of risk factors for chronic disease, creating an opportunity to change lifestyle habits and prevent the development of disease.
- Wellness exams provide an opportunity for your doctor to update your clinical data, creating a more accurate picture of your overall health, which may be critical in an emergency.
See a Doctor in Nashville at St. Thomas Medical Group
Has it been a while since your last men’s wellness exam? Schedule an appointment with a provider at St. Thomas Medical Group by calling +1 (615) 297-2700. You can also request an appointment online at your convenience.