Whether you’re new to Nashville or new to being a parent, finding the right pediatrician for your child can feel like a daunting task. In this post, our team at St. Thomas Medical Group hopes to make the process easier for you! Browse through some of the suggested questions below to jumpstart some thoughts about what you prioritize in your child’s healthcare.
Selecting a Pediatrician in Nashville
Do any of these questions spark some thoughts?
1. Do you have any specialized training?
2. How long have you practiced medicine?
3. What hospital(s) do you work with?
4. Do you offer same-day visits? At St. Thomas Medical Group, we do our best to provide same-day acute care visits Monday through Saturday with extended weekend hours.
5. What tests are done in-office? Will I have to take my child to a separate facility for certain tests?
6. What are your views on sleep training or circumcision? If you have questions about specific, sometimes controversial, health-related issues, it’s okay to ask the pediatrician directly for his or her opinion. Your child’s pediatrician is a partner in health, after all!
7. Can we contact you if we have an urgent need or a routine question?
8. Do you provide input on issues outside of my child’s physical health, such as social behavior and psychological development?
9. How long will we have to wait to get an appointment?
10. How long does a typical wellness exam take?
11. What is your opinion on prescribing antibiotics?
These are just a few questions to help you start thinking about what’s important to you as a new parent. In meeting with a pediatrician, nothing is off the table. After all, this is your child’s health we’re talking about!
If you already have children, feel free to bring them with you to the interview. Also, make sure to bring pen and paper so you can take notes on the answers!
Are you a new parent? If so, read our brief New Parent guide.
Find a Pediatrician in Nashville Today
Find a pediatrician near you at St. Thomas Medical Group Department of Children and Adults. Walk-ins are available on Saturday for established patients with acute medical concerns. (Learn more.) To schedule an appointment, call +1 (615) 301-7040 or schedule online.